Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Opening A Packet of Seeds

So I create a new blog with a catchy little title like "Brain Excavation" with the hope of having a place to release, or at the very least, file away some of the many random thoughts I seem to be experiencing lately. Yet, as I sit here this evening I find myself completely at a loss for words, or better stated, unable express my thoughts in any form resembling coherency. I suppose that's alright though. According to the most recent book I have read, "If You Want To Write", by Brenda Ueland, the important thing to realize is that within each and every one of us lies an "inexhaustible fountain of ideas". She also emphasizes time and time again the importance of simply writing something, anything, and to do it with uninterrupted frequency. For the very act of writing itself can be as a golden bucket by which one can draw from this well of ideas which we all possess.

In these past couple of weeks while on a furlough from work, I have been doing some serious soul searching and seeking God as to the direction my life should proceed. I am making an all-out effort to discover what passion lies within me and how to use whatever God-given talents and abilities I have to follow that passion. I can't honestly say that I have received any definitive revelation in this area but I do know that one of things I enjoy is writing, or at least I enjoy thinking that one day I could write, but then again, don't we all?

What I seem to be having the most difficult time with is deciding or discovering what it is exactly that I wish to write about. My conscious seems to be commanding me to write about only that which is true to me in my heart. If that is to be the case, then each and everything I write would be about the love, grace, and compassion of Jesus Christ. Jesus is true to me in my heart always, even when everything else in this world appears to be a farce. While of course Jesus is a worthy topic of discussion and His teachings were, and are, absolutely fascinating and life-changing, my intention was, for this blog, to allow my own imagination to be stretched and exercised by writing about almost anything outside of Christianity. This will be extremely far from the norm for me but I am hoping by this to gain a greater understanding of who I am and which road leads me towards my destiny. I am not referring to my eternal destiny but yet my earthly destiny for which I was created and through which I may find fulfillment. Jesus said, "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks". So one sure-fire way of finding out what is in one's heart is to listen to the words which we speak. Words are ever so powerful.

Of course, because I am an ardent follower of the Lord, it is more than probable that His teachings and other principles from the word of God will be intermingled and woven into the very fabric of everything that comes forth from my mind. As Brenda points out, a true writer writes from the imagination, which happens to be what she refers to as the Holy Spirit, and that the one true sign of a good writer is that his spirit be revealed and cast forth for the reader to readily discern in each and everything written. Therefore, undoubtedly, because my spirit has become one with the Lord Jesus, the words that come from my heart will inevitably and more often than not bear His signature.

So let me say to those of you reading, thank you. I realize that I have yet to write anything of any interest or really of any significance, but at least I have brought myself to the place where I am making an effort. One can never reap a harvest unless the seed has been sown. And the only way I am ever going to discover whether I have any real writing ability, and find out for myself if this passion I feel can be brought to life through my writing, then I have to at least tear open the package and begin scattering seed.

Sowing and Reaping
The ground is tilled. The seed is planted.
The farmer waters the field,
waiting and watching every day
for the earth to bring forth its yield.
He is patient in his labors,
taking very special care;
for he knows it won’t be long,
yes, harvest time is near.
Well, the same is true in a spiritual sense.
The Word of God does say,
“Our labor is not in vain in the Lord.”,
There’s coming a reaping day.
God hears the cry of His children.
He sees each tear that is sown.
His heart is moved with compassion,
for He cares for His loved and own.
Like the farmer, we need to be patient,
and take very special care;
adding diligence to our faith
that God will answer prayer.
The Word must be sown in the heart
just as the seed is sown in the field.
Then God will bring it to pass,
a great harvest of souls to yield!

(Sowing and Reaping source: http://writeathome.wordpress.com/2007/01/22/sowing-and-reaping/)

Well, that's my little contribution to the blog world for tonight, for what it's worth. Thanks for dropping by and please feel free to leave a comment. And, if you have any suggested reference materials for beginning writers that you would like to share, I would be much obliged.

Thank you,
Michael

P.S. I do have a couple of other blogs where I have written and posted many articles relating to Christianity and the bible. Should you be of interest, let me know and I can send you the links.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    I just dropped by to visit your site, after seeing the comment you left on mine. I have been blogging for 3 years and enjoy it very much, although I have to be careful not to spend too much time with it, since I do have my family to take care of and responsibilities with church. I first started blogging with the hope that it would inspire me to write more, and it has. I've also been strengthened and encouraged many times through other blogggers.

    Anyhow, just wanted to say hello, and thanks for posting the poem.

    Blessings,

    Carol Connell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the visit Carol. I have been exploring your blog a little and really admire all of your work. And, I am glad you approve of me posting your poem. I suppose I should have asked first. It was the very first thing returned when I searced for "sowing and reaping" on Google and it fit so well with the point I was trying to make.

    Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your posts and please, by all means, feel free to come back anytime. Also, you may be interested in reading some of my posts on my others blogs listed here in the links.

    Have an awesome day!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete